If you’re in the transportation industry in Lawrence, KS you probably know all about DOT testing. If you employ individuals to drive your vehicles, you fall under regulations for DOT drug & alcohol testing. This program mandated by the federal government serves to protect drivers, employers, passengers and passersby. DOT testing involves following strict rules and regulations, with one of those being the restroom in which the urine sample is collected.
DOT-approved Single-Toilet Restrooms
It’s not enough to request a urine test from a job candidate or employee when you fall under DOT testing. The facility that collects the urine sample for the test must be compliant and follow DOT rules. One of those guidelines involves the actual restrooms themselves. Urine collection restrooms aren’t your ordinary restrooms. The DOT-approved restrooms are designed to avoid cheating the urine test by tampering with the sample.
DOT Restroom Guidelines
Our Lawrence, KS DOT-approved restrooms fall under the single toilet restroom guidelines. To be compliant by DOT guidelines, we’ve taken the following steps:
- No water source in the restroom. The sink doesn’t work, and the toilet has blue water in it.
- No soap. We don’t have any soap or cremes in the restroom.
- No exit door. We don’t have any windows or exit doors in the collection restroom.
- No trash cans or areas to stow away anything that could tamper with the sample.
- Tape, lots of tape. We’ve taped our ceiling tiles, toilet tank, paper towel holders and any other areas that might be seen as “hiding” spots in the restroom. We check the tape before the test and immediately after the test.
In addition to the actual restroom itself, we always follow the DOT collection guidelines by:
- Requesting a photo identification
- Requiring the employee to remove any outer garments
- Asking the individual to empty their pockets. If unwilling, we take alternative action
- We do not allow any other employees to be present while collecting for the urine test
- Employees must wash their hands before providing the urine test
As approved DOT-testing collection site, we have alternative actions we take if the individual is unwilling or suspected of tampering with the test.
It might seem extreme, but we understand how important it is to follow each DOT requirement step-by-step to guarantee accurate testing. It’s not just a procedure to follow, but in the end, it’s a life-saving requirement to which we gladly comply.